Saturday, January 16, 2010

Wondering Where the Time Went

Sitting in my livingroom the other night, I was taken back in time to a moment that in one way seems like decades and in another way seems like yesterday. Zach and Alyssa were actually getting along and for a brief moment I was transported to a time when they were much younger and things were much less complicated. It seems as though at times I can look at them and "see" in their faces the little boy or girl that they once were. At other times, I can "see" in their faces the old man or the old lady they will become.

This got me wondering. Lately, as my mom is getting old (she just had her 72nd birthday) I have looked at her in a different light. Sure, she is a "young" 72, but I see the small little things that are beginning to remind me of her age and it makes me a bit sad. In thinking back, I can remember when my mom celebrated her 35th birthday. That is really the first birthday she had that I can remember. She was different, but in many ways the same.

Then, I got to wondering about myself as this month I will celebrate my 43rd birthday. Do my kids notice the changes in me? Do they look at me from time to time and think...."Wow. My mom is getting older." I believe they do.

Feeling nostalgic and feeling like I need to spend a little more time with the ones I love. Not wanting to let time slip through my fingers, but wanting to treasure the moments that we all have left together. Afterall, no one knows when that last moment will come for one of us and we will no longer have the chance to say or do all of the things we wanted to.

Living life to the fullest and without regrets....that's what I want!

No comments: