For many years, I have read the chapter in Proverbs that coordinates with the date each month....in-other-words, today is the 27th, so I will be reading Proverbs chapter 27 this evening just before I go to sleep. Recently, I was reading through the entire book of Proverbs, all in one fell swoop this time, when I once again came to the last Chapter.....the infamous Chapter 31. Did you just hear that? A ghostly "Ooooooooooooh" after reading the previous sentence here? I think I hear that ghostly sound each time I begin to read Chapter 31, because I know what is coming. The LIST!
This is the verse most wives/mothers/women dread and some have been known to skip over completely because of the overwhelming list of "requirements" that are needed to be a wife/mother/woman of noble character. The other day, while I was quickly reading through the words found in this Proverb, I was reading along with a "Blah-blah-blah-blah! Yeah, yeah, yeah....I know, I know....blah blah blah." sort of attitude. Then it hit me!
This is not so much a list of "do-this-do-that", but rather an instruction manual on how we can out-live our lives; how we can leave a legacy. As I brought this to the Lord in prayer, He revealed to me that I have oftentimes just been out living my life, but am I out-living my life? In-other-words, am I leaving behind things that matter? Depositing things in the lives of others that are there even when I leave this earth? Am I letting those I love know that I love them now so that after I am gone, they will know that I loved them and share that love with the ones they love? Do I look at each day as an opportunity to leave behind something that is meaningful, lasting and worth remembering? Or am I just living my life moment to moment with little thought of what I am leaving behind? Am I out living my life, or am I out-living my life?
As I came out of my quiet time with the Lord, I was feeling the need to re-read Chapter 31. This time with the idea of reading it with fresh eyes, so to speak. With a heart set on Him and with a desire to retrieve something lasting that I could pass along to others. Yes, to learn from this often misunderstood and avoided passage and gain wisdom from the words the Lord left for us all. It is with excitement that I re-read those words and took in a little more of the big picture that He allowed me to view.
The challenge now is to apply what I have learned and to work toward out-living my life on a more continual and steady basis. To learn and grow and share more than I have been. To get up a bit earlier than I usually do and spend a little more time learning about those things that last. Lessons and ways that are His and not my own.
This "list" is anything but that. It is the way in which my Father has chosen to show me how to out-live my life for His glory and for Kingdom purposes.
PROVERBS 31 10-31
10 A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
11 Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
13 She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.
14 She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.
15 She gets up while it is still night;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her female servants.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.
18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.
19 In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20 She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.
21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22 She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.
26 She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27 She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all.”
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
31 Honor her for all that her hands have done,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.
Wednesday, July 27, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment