Thursday, May 3, 2012

Patience...Still. I'm Learning This One!

Are you patient?  I cannot say that I am.  It is at times when I am in the biggest hurry that I feel the Lord calling me to patience.  Coincidence?  Don't think so!!

For example, yesterday was a day off for me.  A friend of mine needed a ride to Newport, so my mom, my friend and I went together in my car.  My mom needed to check her mail and I needed to send off a package for my hubby.  We went into the post office, did our respective business, and headed back to the car.  There was a woman backing out of the parking stall next to me as we were heading toward my car.  She back up, got directly behind my car and then proceeded to place the car in park and read her mail!  I signed as I prayed quietly, "Lord, really?"  Not sure if He understood my "request" as I sat there for a few more minutes.  Finally, she looked up, saw my reverse lights were on and waved (while smiling) and pulled away.  Ugh!  I proceeded to back out of the parking stall only to have a very old man crossing the parking lot...in front of me....diagonally....headed for the exit....the one I was heading toward....SLOWLY.....painstakingly slowly.....without a thought toward anyone other than himself and where he was headed.  Slowly, slowly, slowly....he exists the parking lot (directly dead center down the middle mind you) and then heads across the street to the bank.....yes, my next destination.  In the meantime, another old man was in his car coming from my left.  He had his blinker on and was coming SLOWLY toward the exit driveway I was in.  The driveway is a one way only; out.  He put his blinker on indicating he wanted to come "in" the "out" and proceeded to give me a mean look while waving me out of the driveway so he could enter the wrong way.  Ugh!

When I saw Mr. Walking-Slow, crossing the street toward the bank, I quickly changed plans and went to pay my cable bill before heading to the bank's ATM for my mom.  After paying my cable bill (uneventful) I headed back to the bank through the ATM as my mom needed me to.  There he was again.  This time, passing in front of me again....diagonally across the parking lot BACK toward the post office.  Ugh!

Why do I get so impatient?  Do I think that I will never do this when I am older?  Afterall, I know myself and if I was in my late 80's and I was aware that this annoyed another person in such a profound way, I know that I might find the humor in it.  Watching an inpatient 45 year old woman while I crossed the street at my own pace....I can see how that might be rewarding on some level.

Lord, I pray that you teach me patience in the little moments of life.  Those times when it would be easier to get frustrated that to extend a little grace toward another.  Praying I am not going to be that little old lady Ms. How-You-Like-Those-Apples, Missy!!  Lord, teach me patience and grace for today; a kind a gracious heart for the future.

No comments: